Electro-Voice is pleased to announce the first preview of the next generation of its legendary X-Line line-array loudspeaker family at InfoComm 2014. The new models mark a dynamic step forward in EV’s 85-year tradition of industry-leading innovation, offering a new range of breakthrough components that work together to surpass the performance of other leading line arrays – all in a significantly more compact, flexible, and faster-to-set-up package.
Two models will be launched later this year: X1 and X2. The X1 will be on display at InfoComm (booth C9708) and demonstrated in the EV Demo Room (N109).
Model X1: compact 12” vertical line-array loudspeaker system
The new X1 system combines innovative new technologies and features with compact design, enabling its use in a wide variety of applications, including:
• Small and mid-sized houses of worship
• Local and regional rental companies
• Corporate events
• Clubs and entertainment venues
Three new EV technologies form the core of the X1 system:
• Mid-Band Hydra (MBH) for superior box coupling
The SMX 12” woofer in the X1 (DVN3125 12” woofer in the X2) is coupled to an EV-exclusive Mid-Band Hydra device that effectively emulates the acoustic behavior of a double line of four 3” point sources. This delivers perfect mid-band coupling of the array while maintaining the efficiency and power of a 12” transducer.
• Wavefront-Shaping Circular Hydra (WCH) for extended linear HF performance
The revolutionary HF section in the X1 incorporates two new ND2R ring-exit high-output 2” titanium compression drivers coupled to a pair of WCH constant energy planar wave generators on a 90° waveguide optimized for high efficiency, uniform pattern control, and smooth, extended, linear response. The ring-coupled ND2R and WCH circular Hydra eliminates wave distortion, maximizing the acoustic output of this medium-format compression driver with in-phase summation past 16 kHz.
• Integrated Rigging System for quick setup
A captive twist-lock multi-angle arraying system designed by EV to simplify the rigging of any size of array, significantly reducing load in/out time and production costs. The Integrated Rigging System has been engineered with the flexibility to deploy a system using the two most common methods of array set-up:
o Fixed angles locked by using secondary rigging pins (included)
o Compression method by using a pull-up kit (sold separately)
Model X2: High-performance compact 12” vertical line-array loudspeaker system
The new X2 system provides high SPL capability, extended HF response, and linear LF output for more performance than previously possible in an extremely compact cabinet. The X2 delivers the SPL, bandwidth, and coverage needed for demanding applications, including:
• Large houses of worship
• Concert and tour sound events
• Sports venues
• Theaters and performing arts venues
In addition to the Mid-Band Hydra (MBH) and Integrated Rigging System shared with the X1, the X2 system features two new EV technologies:
• DVN3125 12” neodymium woofer – higher output, lower distortion
For low frequencies, the new, high-sensitivity DVN3125 woofer in the X2 was developed using Finite Element Analysis to optimize motor, suspension, and electrical design for very low distortion, high efficiency, and maximum intelligibility at high SPL. The woofer is coupled to a Mid-Band Hydra (MBH) device.
• Advanced High-Frequency Hydra for controlled linear HF performance
To satisfy the most demanding system applications, the HF section of the X2 matches two ND6A high-output 3” titanium compression drivers to the pair of Advanced High-Frequency Hydra constant energy planar wave generators on a 90° waveguide. The Advanced High-Frequency Hydra provides full control of the acoustic wave, eliminating wave distortion with in-phase summation to 20 kHz. All array elements sum seamlessly together to deliver consistent pattern control and smooth, extended, linear response for any array configuration.
X1 & X2: Additional key features
• EV-designed and manufactured components.
• Proprietary FIR-Drive performance optimization.
• Input panels provide dual Neutrik™ NL8 connectors for fast connectivity between loudspeakers.
• Passive/bi-amp operation, selected via an internal connector (X1 only).
• LAPS (Line Array Prediction Software) – accurately provides fast array configuration, rigging details, and coverage results. Also provides information for the creation of steered/shaped subwoofer arrays.
• Streamlined styling for both live performance and any installation environment.